Re: [LAU] JACK: more on inputs and outputs

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 19 2010 - 13:09:36 EEST

On Monday 19 July 2010 11:28:35 Andrew Bryant wrote:
> On 19/07/10 08:33, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > On Monday 19 July 2010 08:57:45 Andrew Bryant wrote:
> >> I think this must be a quirk of the hardware: onboard Intel
> > Look at alsamixer(gui), did you select the line-jack for recording?
> > These cheap chips have only a stereo-input. What you record with them is
> > selected via the mixer.
> Ah, now I understand. After a lifetime of analogue mixers I find
> soundcards a bit, let's say, unusual.

Think of the soundcards (analogue!) mixer as two mixers: one for playback and
one for recording. One snitch with the recording-mixer: while several level
controls for the various sources exist, most soundcards select one source and
only record from that one. So its less like a mixer and more ĺike a patchbay
with gain-control.

Have fun,

Arnold