Re: [LAU] sample preview program?

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 15:58:04 EEST

On Tuesday 27 July 2010 07:42:14 Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> What would be the "needs" of this sample preview program?
> -a file browser: GUI or CLI?
> -what sample formats? (MP3 support essential? or all the files supported by
> LibSndFile ok?)
> -resampling essential? Ie: Sample is recorded at 96kHz, but playback at
> 44.1kHz?
> -gui mockups? (how do you want it to look? )
> -waveform preview? (Possibly pointless, it is about the sound right..?)
> -length & details? (again.. possibly pointless)
> -any other remarks/feature requests etc?
>
> Cheers, -Harry
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a simple application for previewing samples?
> > Something that lists all supported audio files in a given directory,
> > that you can click once and hear the sample? jack support would be
> > necessary. I've searched the archives and found this question asked
> > before, but I wasn't able to find an answer. Any pointers or
> > suggestions would be very welcome.

Button to play whole file.
Button to play first X (configurable) seconds of file.
Button to play X (configurable) seconds of file starting at position Y
(configurable).

Perhaps buttons 2 & 3 could be one button. Have two data entry widgets to the
left of the button, first holds X and second holds Y. Fill out from config
and allow override.

If not combined, give button 2 one such widget for holding X.

> > Thank you!
> >
> > --
> > Josh Lawrence

Don't mean to be this specific other than to convey the idea.

An extra feature would be to play on hover.

all the best,

drew