Re: [LAU] linuxDSP LV2 plugins for Ardour and linux DAWs

From: Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 01:39:29 EEST

2010/7/27, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>:
> Am 25.07.2010 17:35, schrieb Louigi Verona:
>> Which brings us to the point of basically saying that some software
>> seems to better off if it is proprietary.
>
> Some software tends to be better and faster developed, if the developers
> are paid money to do the work. Enough money to make a living that is.
> So if you want to see free software developed as fast and professional
> as the (better part of) proprietary software is developed, just raise
> some funds to pay people to do the work fulltime...

If I am a professional musician and I use a very neat, stable and
really good free software digital filter I would certaly donate to the
project if it does not have enough funds already.

What is important is not turning linux software into closed software.
Maybe for diferent types of software diferent strategies for funding
would be more adequate. I'm not sure what would be for audio plugins
and multimedia software in general.

A very neat and amazing digital filter can be a really hard work as
paul davis stated here. But one beatiful thing about free software,
and what it shares with science, is that it considers algorithms and
software ideas as knowledge, and knowledge should be shared. A really
amazing digital filter released as free software will benefith society
as a whole in the long run since its technical achivment will have a
greater potential to feed others great works that will also be free.