Re: [LAU] how to use linux to make music that sounds like peverelist dub-tech?

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2010 - 19:54:54 EEST

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I'm really enjoying RA.218 Peverelist (Bristol Dub-Tech Sound), more
> than his acclaimed album release "Jarvik Mindstate"
> http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=218
> ( most recent entry from http://www.residentadvisor.net/xml/podcast.xml )
>
> How would one use Linux audio tools to produce tracks in the style of
> the ones @ 43', 46' 51' and onward. How to sequence all the intricate
> drum programs without worrying about the sun turning into a red-dwarf
> due to the amazing amount of time it would take just to program a
> minute of music (e.g.. @51:00)? Also at 35' "Joe -- Digest" is that
> effect from a live drummers/conga players chopped up by something like
> drumagog? Or is it just sampled congas sequenced? And what about
> MIDI-beat synchronized audio effect plugins (e.g.. reverbs and echos).
> Standard stuff with external efx equipment, what's the best and
> easiest to use in Linux as a plugin w/ a sequencer like traktor?

I haven't had a listen to the music yet, but from your description I
imagine it is the kind of stuff best done on a tracker.

Open source implementations include

Schism tracker, cheesetracker, milkytracker and soundtracker (all
sample trackers only)

Neil sequencer (a bit more complicated to get to grips with, but
allows plugin synths and effects as well as samples).

Closed source/proprietarty:

Renoise - very nice program with lots of features - built in effects,
and use of LADSPA/ native VST effects, and a very clever way of
recording vocals/audio in realtime to new sample instruments, but with
the big downside of closed source/non-free..

My faves are Neil sequencer and Renoise.

James