Re: [LAU] [ANN] KMid 2.4.0 released

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 13:10:45 EEST

Hi,

On Monday, August 16, 2010, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
>
> <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  [ http://kmid2.sourceforge.net ]
> > * New kmid_part. It is a KPart implementing KMediaPlayer interfaces. This
> > component can be integrated easily in any KDE program as a simple
> > ReadOnlyPart; for instance Konqueror can play MIDI files with it.
> > * New DBus interfaces org.kde.KMid and org.kde.KMidPart
>
> Thanks for making this new version available. It works nicely and
> functions in 'konqueror' as pictured
> here http://midi-clorianos.blogspot.com/2010/07/future-of-kmid.html .
>
> However. even after setting up 'System Settings'->'File
> Associations'->Configure file associations'->Audio->MIDI->'Show file
> in embedded viewer' selected and kmid_part setup as first in "Services
> preferrence order", I'm unsuccessful in getting 'dolphin' to use
> 'kmid_part' as previewer.
>
> How does one setup dolphin to use kmid_part? With the above setting, I
> was able to set it up for use under konqueror, but not dolphin, even
> though dolphin has convenient preview support for other media file
> types.
>
> I was looking forward to this feature:
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2010/07/0771.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Niels
> http://nielsmayer.com

Thanks for trying!

Unfortunately, Dolphin doesn't use Kparts for embedding media content, like
Konqueror does. Instead, it has a PhononWidget [1] for handling media content
if the corresponding mimetype is supported by your current Phonon backend. If
it supports MIDI files, Dolphin will use it instead of kmid_part, regardless
of the setting in the Embedding tab in System Settings->File Associations. If
MIDI is not supported by Phonon, Dolphin won't embed a media player for it.

Krusader [2] is another KDE file manager, and it doesn't embed kmid_part
either. OTOH, KMid doesn't use Phonon, and it is not related to Phonon
backends.

Regards,
Pedro

[1]