Re: [LAU] New blues and soul-esque tracks, need recording, mixing and mastering hints!

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 16:22:04 EEST

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> This is a kind of OT (not Linux related) stuff, but the I take the risk to
> write in this forum anyway:     :-)
>
> fredag 13 augusti 2010 02.14.40 skrev  Loki Davison:
>> > How did you record it, is it only two tracks or multitrack? It's not very
>> > easy to come up with a good answer for you here. :-) It's not very much
>> > meaning to suggest adjustmens as the mix sounds like now. A new raw mix
>> > please! :-)
>>
>> It's multitrack, 5 tracks total. 2 for drums, 1 for guitar, 1 vocals,
>> 1 bass. There is a bit of spill in the vocals and a little in the
>> guitar from the drums. I can record it as many time as required. It's
>
> OK, multitrack, then you _can_ make a new raw mix before asking questions
> about how to go further. :-) It's still pretty meaningless to suggest anything
> about compressing, processing, and all other stuff before I can hear some
> better balance, in a nutshell:
>
> Three Weeks In Albania: Way to load guitar, too little bass.
> Frustration: To low vocal, to load guitar.
>
> For the third time: A new raw mix please! :-)

Thanks for your advice, now up for every ones hopeful listening
pleasure: my new attempt at a mix.
http://yoyo.its.monash.edu.au/~loki/moons_of_saturn-three_weeks_in_albania.mp3

I've tried to balance things a bit, and even attempted a bit of
compression and effects! :)

Any hints? What do you think of the track? I found
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Ardour/ fantastically helpful for
this so thanks to everyone involved in that. I also tried using some
convolution using jconv so thanks to Fons.