[LAU] Tutorial on sidechain compression in Qtractor and a question about screencasting

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 24 2010 - 11:22:57 EEST

Hello all,

I've uploaded a new tutorial to YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnAqk054g7E

So using sidechain compression in Qtractor with the SC3 LADSPA plugin.

Concerning screencasting, anybody any experience with this? For this
tutorial I used recordMyDesktop, but it captures video to Theora, so
after editing and uploading the quality degrades considerably. The big
advantage of recordMyDesktop though is that it has JACK support and that
the overhead is pretty small so I can still run my setup at a decent
latency.
I've also started playing around with FFmpeg. The video quality is
waaaaay better if you capture to a lossless format but I'm having my
thoughts on the audio part. I compiled FFmpeg myself with libjack-dev so
it has JACK support. But FFmpeg apparently has troubles to keep up with
latencies below 20ms, lots of xruns on the FFmpeg side (JACK doesn't
complain though). And I have the feeling FFmpeg lags on the audio side.
So I'm thinking about capturing the video part with ffmpeg and the audio
part with jack_capture and mux the stuff later. But if anyone has any
other suggestions, let me know.

Best,

Jeremy