Re: [LAU] irq sharing

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 24 2010 - 18:13:16 EEST

Mark,

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:54:30 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:10 AM, David Santamauro
> <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >

> > Is there a way to forcibly assign ICE1712 to another IRQ? I just
> > want to test the theory.
> >

> IRQ's and their numbering are physical things. Their assignment is
> made, fundamentally, when the motherboard is designed and is hardwired
> based on the PC board traces. You cannot change those.
>
> For desktop machines the control you do have is to move PCI devices to
> different PCI slots. Asus motherboards are usually pretty good about
> calling out what slots share interrupts with other devices. Check your
> MB manual.
>
> If you don't have a manual use your eyes and think about the whole IRQ
> list. (Not just the part you showed.) Look for another PCI card that
> seems to be on an interrupt by itself and then switch that card with
> your sound card.

Manual says PCI at irq 20.

> For USB devices, if you have multiple USB controllers and _if_ they
> use different IRQs, then you may be able to choose a different
> controller by choosing a different USB connector to plug into. Move
> your USB devices if this appears to be true about your motherboard.
> (It is on many of mine...)
>
> Note that sharing IRQs with a USB controller isn't necessarily bad. It
> depends on what sort of USB device is attached, how its driver is
> written, and how many interrupts it generates. However, all things
> being equal, it's better if everything is completely separated as that
> allows very little interaction.

thanks for the time. I only have one PCI slot, but 3 empty PCI-x slots.

I basically unplugged all USB devices as well as shut off both network
interfaces and on board audio interface in the bios and the noise
persists ...

Not sure what to try next, this was a shot-in-the-dark.

David