Re: [LAU] [LAM] 5-4-Acid

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Wed Aug 25 2010 - 23:34:09 EEST

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Chris Cannam
<cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM, James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Any suggestions for improvements - mixing/composition-wise?
>
> It should be twice as long.

Well OK, that wasn't very helpful. But I love this sort of thing and
this is practically a short clip in this genre. You could just repeat
the last three minutes a few times and I wouldn't tire of it. I'm now
struggling to think of other tracks of this type in odd time
signatures -- I'm quite sure there have been some successful ones.

The drum and bass sounds throughout, and the first few seconds
generally, sound practically early-80s -- there's very little depth
there. That's quite intriguing in terms of development (it starts out
sounding very thin, then expands when we get our acidy fix), and it's
good because it can withstand high volumes, but it does mean it's a
bit lacking in bass on your home stereo experience and the acid solos
sound like they're mixed too high there. (I listened to this first on
headphones and then through speakers, and it was fine on headphones
but rather one-dimensional in the speakers.)

Don't get me wrong, I like the _quality_ of these sounds, it's not
always good to sound too hi-fi. Just that the balance may be tricky.
You can't really tell unless you're playing it on a club system at
club levels though, and I haven't one to hand and have an old guy
living upstairs and two kids asleep in the next room.

Good stuff though.

Chris