Re: [LAU] Jackd options -H --hwmon and -M --hwmeter for ice1712 -- what does it do?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 15:40:26 EEST

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Finally reading the jackd manpage again (
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/jackd ) I notice
>
> ////// ////////// ///////// ///////// ////// ///////
> -H, --hwmon

Most people do not use this. It is entirely replaced by using a h/w
specific utility (such as hdspmixer or envy2ctl) to control signal
routing. The one benefit that it has is that it means that JACK
*applications* can control that kind of routing, which early in the
life of Ardour seemed kind of important. It no longer seems very
important.
If you're already using a h/w specific utility for this purpose, then
don't use -H.

> PS: likewise what does the "-M, --hwmeter" option do -- again I don't
> see any difference between this being on or off. And how would it know

it doesn't really do anything. It was a placeholder for functionality
that has never been implemented because (a) so few cards implement it
and (b) the meter is basically useless for any app other than a h/w
specific utility app (which has other mechanisms available to get the
meter values).

--p