Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 21:05:15 EEST

On 30 August 2010 18:36, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:43 PM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 06:04:53AM -0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, I agree the basic formula for mindless drivel has not changed much
>> > over the years. Perhaps that is why we have been dominated by a
>> > hereditary
>> > elite for so long now?
>>
>> Unfortunately, much of this thread is mindless drivel as well:
>>
>> * Reducing a complex social process to a simplistic conspiration theory.
>>
>> * Abusing ill-defined but suggestive terminology from Freudian psychology,
>>  ('subconscious', 'mind', etc.) ignoring everything this science as
>>  produced over the last 30 or so years.
>>
>> And what is this 'hereditary elite' ? The last few kings and kaisers
>> that remain here and there ?
>>
>> > If we are accepting of this as the status quo then we get what we
>> > deserve.
>>
>> Those who accept it get what they deserve. It's up to you to decide
>> if you are included or not.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>
>> --
>> FA
>
> I would just like to point out some (perhaps irrelevant) points:
> 1. The great western classical tradition which started around Bach (or a few
> hundred years earlier depending on how you look at/hear it) suddenly died
> around 1900.
> Classical music degenerated into varieties of insanities like serialism etc
> and pop/rock etc emerged over the next 50 years out of what was earlier
> simple folk music.
>
> 2. Western music has always used and experimented with varieties of
> well-tempering.
> Equal tempering only took hold in the 20th century ie after 1900 see for
> example:
> http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~mrubinst/tuning/tuning.html
>
> 3. The 'greatest' wars that humans have ever fought happened in the 20th
> century

Then let's blame the Dadaists and Surrealists. They're the two art
movements which advertisers have mined to the greatest extent for
inspiration. They brought the art of the insane out of the shadows,
and 'primitive' art also (an art also of spirits and devils and aliens
etc).

just my change from 2 cents.

--
_