Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 31 2010 - 01:00:13 EEST

Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-08-30 22:39:15 +0200:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:06:33PM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > 1. The great western classical tradition which started around Bach (or a few
> > hundred years earlier depending on how you look at/hear it) suddenly died
> > around 1900.
> > Classical music degenerated into varieties of insanities like serialism etc
> > and pop/rock etc emerged over the next 50 years out of what was earlier
> > simple folk music.
>
> That's quite an extreme way to put it I'd say. The 'great western classical
> tradition' is by no means a continuum, it is divided in periods that each
> had their own foundations and idioms. There are composers bridging the gaps
> of course, but that doesn't much change the basic historic structure.
>
> But yes, the early 20th century was surely a turning point in Western science
> and culture - mathematics and physics went through a crisis and came out
> stronger than ever, and in the arts - not only music - everything was turned
> over and the outcome of this is still unsure. Much of this was questioned
> in the final quarter of the 20th century (the postmodern movement), without
> IMHO offering anything in exchange. What we have today is some form of
> 'eclectism' that has its place in contemporary society but in itself has
> little power to survive.

If everything already was, nothing is new, how can anything not be
eclectic? I heard however that Goethe said basically the same thing,
everything that can be already is. I guess 'new' just gets 'smaller' all
the time. And everything new just derives from what was there before. I
think that never changed, it's just a matter of perception, and I guess
this development went faster than the general human perception developed.

--
Philipp