Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 31 2010 - 20:29:14 EEST

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Dave Phillips wrote:

> The kids bring in everything from the 60s to now. They bring in crap
> and they bring in tunes that I end up using in my own shows (I
> recently appropriated Dave Grohl's Everlong). I've been listening to
> pop music since the early 1950s, and it seems to me that there has
> always been a constant amount of shite on the airwaves. Of course
> there is, because you can easily manufacture it. You can't easily
> manufacture the truly great music, IMO it's gotta come from within the
> artists themselves. So there's always been a varying amount of good
> stuff.

These days, I tend to find out about bands through a sort of grapevine.
There are musicians I know online, mostly in Europe. Often the stuff
they listen to is stuff I'd be interested in also. I imagine a lot of
people have gone to this mode of discovering new music -- forgetting
about the pop airwaves, relying on the grapevine. Some artists are even
becoming "pseudo-famous" this way...not famous because of the mainstream
media, but famous because they've got the referal of other current day
musicians on the Internet that are widely known to be good artists.

It'd be nice if this trend continues. The more it does, the more
superfluous the mainstream pop industry becomes.

> Btw, there's a strong argument that the "teen craze" sort of pabulum
> started with Disney and his ilk. Pop stars such as Annette Funicello
> and other Mouseketeers were the Britneys of the day, and manufactured
> stars such as Fabian soon took over the charts after the harder rock
> music suffered from the effects of Buddy Holly's death. Disney and
> Colonel Tom Parker determined the tastes of whole generations of
> listeners. They substituted saleability for creativity, and the rest
> is what's known as pop history.

Yeah, that's happening again, Disney again. Miley Cyrus, Hannah
Montana, the Jonas Brothers, etc. Moral of the story: Mickey Mouse
makes a very poor DJ....

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky