Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 01 2010 - 15:26:06 EEST

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 16:15:53 +0400
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM, David Santamauro
> <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:21:27 +0400
> > Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > don't. But commercial art is not art and those products are not
> > > worth anybody's attention. Even the best of them.
> > >

> > Really?
> >
> > So any commissioned work by the great masters throughout the
> > ages is not worth attention? I beg to differ.
> >
> > David
> >

> Why do you rephrase me? I did not say anything about commissioned
> works by great masters.

fair enough. My point is simply that such a broad stroke as "commercial
art is not art" is just your opinion (which you are entitled) but
clearly there are many magnificent works that have been created for the
masses in search of fame and fortune that are worthy of attention.

Most great composers were/are performers that needed to display their
virtuosity in order to "break into the scene", Bach, Mozart and
Beethoven being no exceptions.

Are we to write off these works and pay them no attention?

David