Re: [LAU] envy 1712 - infamous but obscure

From: ailo <ailo.at@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 02:40:55 EEST

On 09/03/2010 07:43 PM, Niels Mayer wrote:
> Pulseaudio's success is ultimately predicated on ALSA's providing
> correct interfaces for the following "standard names" or aliases from
> /usr/share/alsa/pcm:
>

> default: Default device
> front: Front speakers
> surround40: 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41: 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50: 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51: 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71: 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and
> Woofer speakers
> iec958: IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a correct breakdown of your example
(a previous post by Niels Mayer), but I found it very educational and am
glad you shared it.

I assume that the problem is already known by a number of people, as
suggested by rosea grammostola on an earlier reply to this thread:

"Someone needs to work on the bug. AFAIK in ALSA. I've contacted the
main dev of Pulseaudio ones, he said something like 'someone just needs
to step up and fix it'...
It looks like you're that someone :) :p"

- I really wish that I was that someone. Unfortunately I would barely
know where to start.
If the problem is not solved by 2015, who knows, maybe I will be the man
for the job :p.

P.S. (to Niels Mayer)
I've only had a quick look at http://mudita24.googlecode.com, but it
looks great. I'll be sure to use it as the default mixer on both my
machines.