Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 09:40:47 EEST

Brent Busby wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, david wrote:
>
>> But if you simply "had to write songs" at the expense of making a
>> living, ended up living on the streets, still making songs, I think it
>> would qualify quite well as some form of insanity. I understand OCD is
>> very popular now.
>> ;-)
>
> Well, it's never made me homeless, but I swear, the prices they charge
> for ordinary things like mic and cymbal stands, drumheads, etc. has
> certainly given its best shot and *trying* to make me broke. I think
> Adrian Utley of Portishead is right about what he said about getting
> into modular synths, except it's true for music gear in general -- it's
> like a crack addiction. Once you get into it, you're a goner (and so is
> your bank account).

Oh, yes! My inner teenager still wants a original Gib$on Le$ Paul Cu$tom
Deluxe. $$$ :-)

I think my next music equipment purchases will be an 88-key MIDI
controller with aftertouch. I'll have to pick up another stand of some
sort - I want to start using my synthesizer/effects box at church
services, and will have to get something to set it on. And I'd like to
replace my 4-channel mixer with an 8- or 10-channel mixer.

Someday. Budget isn't cooperating!

I'd like a vintage Moog - but that would be my limit for hardware
synthesizers! I prefer software now.

> That's also why I don't have any hardware modular synths. My vintage
> keyboards are a bad enough money drain without getting into THAT... I'm
> particularly avoiding the siren call of semi-modulars like the Arp 2600
> and the Korg MS-20. Because...that's how it starts... :)

In general, I've decided that time is much more precious than equipment!
Better to spend the time making music with what I have than to work an
extra job to buy equipment that I then wouldn't have time to use ...

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden