Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 13:33:26 EEST

On 04/09/10 17:52, rosea grammostola wrote:

> Another aspect of a pc for audio is noise. I was wondering, might it be
> possible to use a long cable to my pc monitor and place my pc in another
> room. Will there be any degradation of the quality of the visual display
> with a long>= 5m. cable?

5m is certainly fine with a reasonable DVI cable, with VGA 30m is generally ok
if you can use it at both ends, but you will lose some quality compared to DVI
and it depends a lot on how good the VGA part of each end is. With luck you will
get better than these lengths, but that will depend a lot on your set-up.

Using a good multi-core co-axial cable, a properly wired plug for each end and a
decent VGA card will work to at least 50m, but the whole VGA system is old, no
longer supported and substantially lower quality for big screens .. really only
useful for movies and images, say when sending to a projector.

Repeaters or amplifiers are available for each, but they can be expensive.

There are various systems, with very varied qualities and prices, for sending
screen data over ethernet cables directly, or through a network. Some work very
well, with very high quality. They keep changing and improving every year, so I
am out of touch here.

Simon