Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 22:53:58 EEST

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:59 AM, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a new workstation | DAW pc, would be nice to get some advise.
>
> Silent
> Energy friendly (relative...)
> Good for audio work
> Price: 300 - 500 euro
>
> Which components are the most important? And which components might be good
> second hand as well?
> How many cores, is a dualcore enough, or do I need a quatro core? It would
> be nice to be able to enjoy the computer in the coming 3 years (I don't know
> how heavy computing will be in 3 years...)
> Which computer case?
> Motherboard
> Monitor
> Fans?
>
> When I look around, Phenom processor and MSI motherboard are mentioned...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> \r

You don't mention if you're comfortable buying components and building
the machine yourself.

While you do ask about processor cores, and basically it's 'the more
the better' under Linux, understanding more about your music interests
might help. If you're recording acoustic music and see yourself adding
a bit of reverb, a touch of compression, that's one thing. If you see
yourself doing 64-track techno full of synths and lots of plugins
running live all at the same time well then that's probably another
thing entirely in terms of sucking up CPU power.

Really close to totally silent probably means:

1) Water cooling
2) Internal Solid State disks in the machine
3) External eSATA audio disks stored in a quiet cabinet.

It doesn't necessarily mean a fanless video card because you can water
cool that also if you choose to.

That would be hard to do for 500 euro I think. (I'm in California so I
have no idea how or where you purchase in your part of Europe)

Anyway, I'm a fan of Asus MBs, either Intel or AMD processors. I used
to work for AMD but frankly right now it's pretty hard to beat Intel's
Core i5 & i7 offerings. I've got an i5-661, i7-920 and an i7-980x.
They are all quite nice at different price points and the i5 is very
energy efficient.

Just some ideas for your consideration.

Cheers,
Mark