Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 07 2010 - 15:29:15 EEST

rosea grammostola:
> Hi,
>
> Processor:
> So it looks like I go for a intel i3 processor, with integrated gpu.

Probably a good choice. Intel processors are able to handle more heat than
the ones from AMD.

> Anyway, I'm a fan of Asus MBs, either Intel or AMD processors. I used
>> to work for AMD but frankly right now it's pretty hard to beat Intel's
>> Core i5 & i7 offerings. I've got an i5-661, i7-920 and an i7-980x.
>> They are all quite nice at different price points and the i5 is very
>> energy efficient.
>>

> MB:
> Does it make sense to go for an Intel motherboard when I have also a Intel
> processor? Then it should fit right ;) Like the Intel Desktop Board DH55HC
> for example?
> Asus is also mentioned pretty often indeed, MSI too. Which is the best,
> that's all I have to know ;)

Most motherboards usually works, but Intel is generally less tweakable,
which could be important if you want a silent computer.

Yes, but also check out www.silentpcreview.com.

> Cases:
> There are pretty some option these days. Towers, mini-itx, htpc. I like the
> style of the Antec ones ( antec Solo-EU Quiet Mini Tower Case, NoPSU, for
> example).
> Smaller is more mobile and looks nicer, but what is better and more silent?

Bigger is more silent. bigger => colder => more silent.

Another (extremly important) factor to look out for is that the PSU is
placed at the bottom of the case, and not anywhere near the CPU.
Antec, fractal design and coolermaster are some manufacturers
providing this design.

> Memory:
> Any recommended brands, type and speed?

Pick the one with the lowest price/performance ratio, and check that it
works properly using memcheck after installation.

At notam we have also made this guide/recommendation list for building a
silent computer:
http://www.notam02.no/projects/index.php?title=Noiseless_PC