Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 07 2010 - 23:31:15 EEST

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, rosea grammostola wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen <
> k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> Probably a good choice. Intel processors are able to handle more heat than
>> the ones from AMD.
>>

> Thanks for the info, great!
> How hard is it to upgrade a processor later? I'm thinking of buying a i3
> now, but like to be able to upgrade to a i7 later.

If the future i7 processor fits in the socket of your mainboard,
it should work. Sometimes you have to update the bios first though.

For i3, i5 and i7 processors, I think there are two types of sockets,
and I'm pretty sure you can't put a CPU made for one socket into
a motherboard made for the other type.

>> Most motherboards usually works, but Intel is generally less tweakable,
>> which could be important if you want a silent computer.
>

> So then MSI or ASUS might be better. But is that working with the integrated
> GPU?

Yes, it will work if the MB is specified to work with integrated graphics.
Pretty sure there are many of those both from MSI and ASUS. Just check
the specs before buying. :-)

>> Power:
>>> When it comes to a power supply I was thinking about Enermax PRO82+ 385W.
>>> heard that brand is good...
>>>

>> Yes, but also check out www.silentpcreview.com.
>

> You have a PS without fan? Most PS I see have a fan inside (120mm)

Yeah, it works great. Not very cheap though. You probably
still need one or more fans for the computer case, but the advantage
is that you get control over which fans you have in your
system (a noctua fan running at 400RPM is extremely quiet),
you can easely replace old fans, and you can avoid
fans changing speed depending on the temperature (which all
PSU-fans do).

As long as the PSU is placed quite far away from the CPU (for instance
a computer case where the PSU is placed at the bottom),
you have a tiny bit of ventilation in the computer case, and
you don't have a huge gfx card or other
things which consumes lots of power or generates heat, it
shouldn't be a problem using a fanless PSU. Infact, even that tiny
bit of ventilation might not be needed anymore with the
new fanless PSU from seasonic.