Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 19:37:07 EEST

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Cannot help noticing the irony that this comment is on this mailing list [?]
> I believe that Darwin had great difficulty dealing with music in
> evolutionary terms:
> Not the original but what google produces: darwinism cant explain
[...]

While I think we're still subject to Darwinian selection, I think humans
kind of veered off the map a little bit when we developed our level of
sentience and facility for seeing certain things as symbols for other
things. We're probably been at the point for some time now where the
reason for our own traits is as much because of past cultural and social
things as from natural selection. Because of that, there will be all
kinds of things about humans that Darwinism can't explain.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky