Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 20:19:32 EEST

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 05:14:59PM +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
> "It is my considered opinion and that of a large number of musicians and
> artists throughout the world that pop music is being used as social
> control."
>
> I would agree with Patrick on this one.
>
> It is not a conspiracy, it is just a matter of common interests of large
> corporations and powerful people.
> Maybe this control is not too big, its effect does dry out as I mentioned
> before, but it is certainly there.
>

Twas ever thus. Music is a social emulsifier, and has been so at least as far back as the days of tribal drumming and chanting. It affects us powerfully, physically, and at an emotional level that is very difficult or impossible to contain via rational thought.

That has not changed. What has changed is the structure of the society in which the music exists.

I agree that this social structure has changed in a way that is toxic to humans-- a world run by zombie undead corporations that are not even alive (maybe the sci-fi books were on to something, and the evil robots that have taken over the world now have Inc, SP.A, Gmbh, and LLC in their names), to the benefit of a comparatively tiny elite minority of humans (comparatively: to 7 billion people, even hundreds of thousands is tiny) of uber-wealthy families.

What I don't buy is the conspiracy theories that seem to permeate the right wing and left wing of politics, so Patrick's argument lost me at "Rothschilds" and 'QEII". Nah, the uber-wealthy back-stab each other and look out for themeselves, and they have no problem stealing from each other as easily as stealing from the rest of us. Plus, there are numerically a LOT of them around-- good luck coordinating hundreds of thousands of people.

So, I very much doubt that the rich elite are acting in any kind of organized conspiracy. Shared interests and shared goals, perhaps, but I see any coordination they might be doing, as being loose and with a great deal of mutual mistrust. The rich elite have always been a back-stabbing, venial, loathesome lot, at least as far back as the days when an English bard documented their courtroom intrigues in some rather well-written plays.

-ken
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Received on Fri Sep 10 00:15:02 2010

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri Sep 10 2010 - 00:15:02 EEST