Re: [LAU] Tuning icecast/ices for low latency

From: Lists Parisson <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 23:46:15 EEST

Hi,

You have also to notice that, in the case of a _none_ PCM music streaming format
like mp3 or ogg, the encoder usually needs several input buffers to process its
own frequency, amplitude analysis and then matricing. So, whereas the size of
this chunk is varying with the bitrate and the requested quality, it is
impossible to get a very low latency between the (PCM) source and the
broadcasted stream sent to the icecast server (+ the icecast's own buffer).

But, if you _really_ need some low latencies and bitrates, checkout this codec
which tends to reduce those latencies drastically:
http://www.celt-codec.org/

I don't know, however how this codec is supported by main players...
Who knows ? Would this be also streamable through icecast nodes ?

Cheers,
Yomguy