Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 11 2010 - 19:46:39 EEST

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Folderol <folderol@ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:12:52 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Il giorno sab, 11/09/2010 alle 15.12 +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen ha
>> > scritto:
>> > [cut]

>> > I think you are very lucky :)
>> > Few month ago my mediacenter broke the HD (ext3) and without backups i
>> > lost serveral Gig of data :(
>> >
>> > Now I use a RAID1 and it saved me once (because power supply problem in
>> > 1 of the disk).
>> > And now is simple tu install a software raid in a Linux box.
>> >
>> > Another situation where (incremental) backup is important is when you
>> > make a change of a project and you want to return to previous version.
>> >
>> > So I think RAID1 + backup is the best choice :)
>> >
>> > Ivan
>>
>> +++++ actual physical backups.
>>
>> No disk system is enough. Not journals on single disks. Not RAID. Not
>> RAID with journals. Backups are key, and maybe MORE important than
>> backups is actually testing that restoring from backups actually
>> works. It's good to keep one junkie old computer around and make sure
>> that backups can be restored on a machine that's never seen them. In
>> the last 15 or 20 years I've lost 3 machines to catastrophic failure.
>> Making sure I had restorable backups was key to the data I saved and
>> key to the data I lost.
>>
>> RAID for dummies like me cannot get much easier than mdadm.
>>
>> - Mark
>
> If you've ever been unfortunate enough to have a house fire or burglary
> - I've had both :( - you'll also appreciate the wisdom of keeping a
>  copy of your really important stuff off-site.

Will,
   Very sorry for you. Very glad I've never had to suffer the fire offense.

   That said I tar up all of the source code for my stock trading
strategies and scp them to a machine in another state 3 times a week.
I've got 50GB of data off site at this point. As I'm in California and
scheduled to sink into the Pacific in 2012 I figured anything west of
the San Andreas fault wasn't a good idea...

   I was burglarized once. They took my 1937 Gibson Super 400 and a
Gibson RD Artist. Those, unfortunately, are very had to back up...
- Mark