Re: [LAU] Terrasoniq Phase X64 USB audio interface?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 05:17:47 EEST

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Hannes Rohde <Hannes.Rohde@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just received my new toy, a Terrasoniq Phase X64 USB sound interface. Of
> course it does not work plug-n-play in Linux, just as expected :-) But maybe
> it's still possible to get it to run with a little more effort - does anyone
> here have a hint for me?

a quick google reveals it to be a USB 2.0 audio interface. unless it
is the first such device to use the defined 2.0 audio class driver
standard (which is unlikely, as no other USB 2.0 audio devices have
done so), then its unlikely that you will see this work on linux
unless:

    a) the manufacturer releases enough information and someone wants
to write the driver
    b) it has a "hidden" USB 1.0 compatibility mode

The situation with USB 2.0 is excrebable: AFAIK there are still no
commercially released devices using the driver standard - they all
come with their own per-device drivers, totally unlike USB 1.0 where a
single driver for each of Windows, OS X and Linux (and perhaps even
the BSDs) takes care of pretty much all devices. if the manufacturer
doesn't provide a driver for (e.g.) Snow Leopard or Tiger or Win7 or
WinXP, then you're screwed on that platform too.

--p