Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 18:10:13 EEST

Hi,

On Monday 13 September 2010 16:55:29 Ivan Tarozzi wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 13/09/2010 alle 07.43 -0700, Mark Knecht ha scritto:
> > If you run mysql then back up databases as Arnold suggests.
>
> This is true, but may be you need to pay attention about online backup
> of mysql files.
> I'm not sure, but if you backup files of a running mysql database, the
> restore of these backups may fails.

My mysql is only used privately, basically no usage during the cron-backup-
run. And I can say from experience that this works. The backup can be brought
up again without problems. It might be a problem when mysql changes these files
during the buckup-run. But thats what the snapshot function of lvm is for...

> I read about mysql backup tecniques using cron to create a mysql backup
> (using mysql internal commands:mysqldump and mysqlhotcopy) and then
> backup the resulting offline files.

That is possible too. With the lvm-snapshot you get backups from a certain
point in time. The techniques from mysql itself are afaik more targeted at
continuous live-backup preferable to a hot-standby machine. But I don't really
know the details here...

Have fun,

Arnold