[LAU] Tune won't let go!

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 03:45:40 EEST

Well, it's nearly 2am but my latest creation is still buzzing round in
my head and simply won't let go :(

The is a development of my entry to the current KVR contest.
The percussion intro (which, with variations pretty much runs on through
the whole tune) is from the toy instruments we are supposed to use. I
used the following soundfont samples:

Magical Music Box
Cathedral Toy Organ
Cimealong

Just as the tune proper starts I use the kick drum from the P51f
soundfont, this is timed to coincide with what sounds like someone
hitting a saucepan - that's because it's exactly what it is :o

In the middle quiet passages I introduce more P51f - I'm quite pleased
with the way this turned out. I usually struggle with percussion.

The synth sounds are all ZynAddSubFX - bet that surprised you :)

The background pad is 'Smooth'
First phrase is 'Beyond' + 'Soft Voyager'
Next comes 'Overdrive', then 'Steel Wire'
The rich, rolling bass is from 'Ethereal'
The very last sound to come in, on the last phrase is 'Super Square'

Qsynth channels carrying all the percussion were passed through an
instance of jamin, and Zyn. was passed through a separate instance. The
two were then simply passed on to timemachine to record in one sweep.
Rosegarden was the sequencer.

Due to the truly random nature of the sound of 'Overdrive' it actually
took me 7-8 tries to get exactly the right effect over the whole piece.

The very last step was to pass the recorded whole through Audacity
where I shaved 2dB off the spikes with the fast lookahead limiter,
restored to 0db, then trimed the start and end.

So here is the final result:

http://www.musically.me.uk/music/No_More_Time_For_Toys.ogg

P.S.
Please ensure you have a good bass response to get the best from that
'Ethereal'. Quite high volume wouldn't go amiss either :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk