Re: [LAU] ambidec: number of speakers and sound card configurations

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 18 2010 - 07:18:11 EEST

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM, <fons@kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> If you want more channels, forget about combining soundcards,
> just use *one* that has the required number of channels.
> RME's MADI interface will give you 64, that should do.

What's wrong with running three ice1712-based soundcards (M-audio
Delta 1010, Delta 1010LT, Terratec Phase88 or EWS88 MT, Terrasonic
TS88) with the digital inputs setup for synchronization, via a single
clock-master 1712, and multiple 1712 slaves. With Terratec, this is
facilitated by their EWS-connect digital sync cable that allows
digital sync without permanetly physically tying up the input, and
using software to switch the source of the digital input).

Once setup for synchronization, use
http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html to setup an alsa
multi creating up to 40 channels (if you can find a mobo or extender
with 4 pci slots) and then reference the multi playback and capture
devices in the jack configuration.

Given that you can get a Terratec Phase88 on ebay for $9.99 these
days, or an EWS88D (ADAT I/o and spdif I/o) for $19.99 like I just
did... and you can use the money you save over RME to get better
speakers/amps or even a whole new computer just for that used, no
longer supported by Vista, but working nicely on linux $20.00
soundcard....

One of the issues I've been thinking about w/r/t multichannel is that
you actually have to route all that audio to speakers, amplifiers,
etc. Seems like it would be better, say, with a 24 channel setup, to
have three ADAT cards (like the $19.99 EWS88D i recently won) and then
run lightpipe to a cheap D/A like http://www.aphex.com/141.htm or even
better to an ADAT->AES/EBU ( http://www.aphex.com/144.htm ) and then
run AES/EBU to small powered monitors. That way you could at least
limit the spidernest of 24 analog connections all going to the
computer, and instead spread them out closer to their target
destinations.

See also:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index./TwoCardsAsOne
http://www.johnlapeyre.com/linux_audio/linux_audio.html
ftp://ftp.terratec.net/Audio/EWS/88MT/Manual/EWS88MT_Manual_GB.pdf
The EWS®-Connect connector consists of 2 pin headers, CN1 (5-pole) and
CN2 (3-pole),
whereas CN1 consists of a black and a white piece. If you have
installed only one EWS88 in
your system, just leave everything as it is: Jumper on CN1 (black
bit). In this configuration, the card receives masterclock from its
own clock-generator (internal), or from the digital
input(S/PDIF or ADAT) of an external clock-generator (external). You
can switch between the
two in the ControlPanel.
When installing another EWS88, you need to connect the supplied thin
cable on the “master”
card to CN2 (Sync-Out). This connects to CN1 (Sync-In) on the first
“slave” card. You need to
keep and store the surplus jumper.
More cards? No problem: Simply run another cable from CN2 (Sync-Out)
of the first “slave”
card to CN1 (Sync-In) on the second “slave”. And, surprise surprise,
another one from CN2 of the second “slave” to CN1 on the third (and
last) “slave”.
The EWSâ-Connect connector also provides the plug-in point for the
optional EWSâClockWork. This module will allow you to run all
EWS-systems in your PC from an external WordClock- or SuperClock (256
FS)- signal in sync. For further information on this, please refer to
the EWS-ClockWork manual.

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS:

> Forget about 24 channels. An 8-channel system will provide first
> order with height (cube or dual rectangle decoder), or up to 3rd
> order for an horizontal only system.

That's good to know that my EWS88D is capable. Now all i need is an
Aphex 144 and eight 5-10W spdif-driven class-d power amps (skip analog
entirely) driving small full-range loudspeakers.... or even better,
totally flat "planar" speakers mounted into the walls with appropriate
compensation for their acoustics and resonance.... a technique that
should be applied to automotive audio where all "nonfunctional"
surfaces could be turned into "speakers."....