Re: [LAU] Demo: Soda P - Pent-Up

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 20 2010 - 11:19:01 EEST

On 09/20/2010 06:16 AM, Loki Davison wrote:

> I totally agree that tambourine is damn hard. I find kit a lot easier.
> Especially the Mazzy Star tambourine vibe... :) Or motown... and
> arabic stuff.

Hello Loki,

Most of the parts for this song were done in one take, the tambourine
though... I always get cramped when I'm holding it tight. Any tambourine
video tutorials available? ;)

> All around the song is good! Nice vibe, good sound and balances well.
> The bass disappears a bit. I like how much growl it's got but needs a
> bit more fatness. Either eq changes or play further from the bridge. I
> love the tom sound but I find the crash is a bit week sounding.

I should be able to add more fatness to the bass. I deliberately eq'd it
to make the growl stand out because it fits better I think. But for the
lower frequencies some extra boost wouldn't harm. I think it will also
become more harmonious, the track is now a bit too edgy because of those
lacking bass frequencies.

> My mixing/mastering skills still need a lot of work too! Great to hear
> some other stuff. How did you choose which compressor plugins to use?
> I'm just wondering because I haven't tried the calf ones. I always
> stick to CAPS/TAP collection.

I just tried out some compressors but most of them didn't do what I
wanted them to do or had too many parameters to control that I don't
understand yet. I actually only used the SC4 plugin, I used the Calf one
for the acoustic guitar that I dropped in the end. The SC4 plugin just
does its job in a comprehensible manner for a mixing newbie like me.

Best,

Jeremy