Re: [LAU] Demo: Soda P - Pent-Up

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 20 2010 - 14:58:46 EEST

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> ... For me the vocals are already very loud, I've used quite
> some compression because my voice tends to fluctuate a lot in volume.

The vocals come through okay here but could definitely use a little more
presence. Never be shy about putting your vocals out front further than
you think they should be. Many non-professional singers have a bit of
reluctance when it comes to placing themselves forward in the mix.

I record my voice with two microphones of different quality, each to its
own track in Ardour. I also record my guitar with a combination of
acoustic sound (again with two microphones) and a DI send. I use a nice
Dean bass for my bass parts, it just goes directly into the preamp.

The drums could stand to be better mixed too, but others here have
addressed it better than I can. Unfortunately my recording space doesn't
have room for real drums. :(

Best,

dp