[LAU] Most stable / best 16+ channel audio interface / mixer?

From: Michał Sawicz <michal@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 22 2010 - 16:03:54 EEST

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the best place to ask this question. I'm looking for a
most stable / best value audio interface / mixer with at least 16 input
channels.

Until now I'm using a Phonic HelixBoard 18 FireWire (mainly on AVLinux),
but it's getting less and less stable. I'm having difficulties keeping
jackd running, the firewire connection breaks too often.

I've verified that the same happens on Windows, so it's jack/Linux's
fault. On the other hand I have had multiple issues with firewire in the
past and so I'm looking for a different solution, if feasible.

And so here comes the question - can anyone please advise me on what
hardware do they use that is stable and useful under Linux?

One very interesting technology is the Audinate Dante or other variants
of networked audio, but I can't find any information about software that
will work on Linux with these solutions.

An alternative would be to use ADAT, but it seems a bit overkill and
rather pricey solution. Unless there's some good and combination that I
should look into?

Also, if there's a better place to ask, please do tell.

Best regards

--
Michał Sawicz <michal@email-addr-hidden>