Re: [LAU] PRESONUS V-FIRE on Linux ?

From: Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen <sv-e@email-addr-hidden-e.dk>
Date: Wed Sep 22 2010 - 17:17:59 EEST

Den 22-09-2010 15:47, Robin Gareus skrev:
> Hoi Svend-Erik,
>
> I can't help you with the 1394 interface, but there's some other options:
>
> On 09/21/2010 07:34 PM, Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I just bought a pair of two older Roland VSR-880 to record my band
>> during rehearse, I'm gonna use it with an analog mixer, but I would be
>> pleased to be able to feed Ardour with some of the recordings too,
>>
> I have a VS-890 sitting around in the corner. I loved that device in the
> late 90's - its built-in effects are great as well.
>
> While one can access the raw data (either via SCSI or by simply taking
> out the HDD) it's a proprietary format. However there's
> http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWaveExport.html - with some advanced
> wine device-config and tricks (see the troubleshooting on the page) it
> works on GNU/Linux.
>
> The drawback is: you get the raw data as stored on the device: not the
> mix (unless you bounce it).
>
> Another option is to simply use MTC/MMC to sync ardour to the VSR-880.
> I've used the optical S/PDIF-out to transfer two tracks at a time. It's
> somewhat lame but WTH. In my case I spent much more time recording,
> mixing& mastering so the few hours for transferring was negligible.
> *
> *
*Hi Robin
Okay in fact I've already ordered two sockets for mounting a Compact
flash card in the machines IDE bays:

I did that original because one of the harddisc's have periodical
failure, thick and old oil or something, but it will not operate proper
much longer I think. And new IDE disk's dosen't seem to float the market.

Then taking the raw data should be easy through a compact flash card
reader, and I don't mind mixing in Ardour.

Thanks for that link.*