Re: [LAU] No batch processing on Linux?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 25 2010 - 14:00:29 EEST

On Saturday 25 September 2010 10:49:35 Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I guess I am reacting to what I imagine is language
> > preference projected onto absolute judgment on merits of a
> > particular language.
> >
> > Perhaps you are speaking from years of software development
> > experience.
>
> I have quite a lot of (mostly enjoyable) experience writing Perl over
> the years, including some fairly big programs, and hardly any
> experience with Python (a language I dislike on instinct). But my
> experience with Perl has been that returning to my own projects is
> harder than it should be, and harder than in languages like C and C++.
> That is probably due to my own limitations, particularly when it
> comes to discipline, but it's empirically true in my case.
>
> The real assumption I made back there was that Python code is any
> easier to return to -- I haven't the experience to judge, really, I'm
> just going on hearsay from friends and acquaintances.

Python actually forces you to be more disciplined. Which really make returning
to the code easy.

Using python for small apps/tools is easy. Using python for large projects is
easy.
Extending your C/C++-project with python is easy.
Using your own C/C++ parts in python is easy.
Porting parts of your python project to C/C++ is easy (think prototyping in
python and port to compiled-language once the interface is finished and the
optimizations begin).

I for one am very glad I learned python a few years back. Its fun.

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience in perl, but what I get from the perl-
snapshots in German Linux-Magazin, it looks harder then python...

Have fun,

Arnold