Re: [LAU] Subject: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 26 2010 - 16:12:49 EEST

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 05:50:24AM -0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Can you give me a little more idea why you feel using FFT in this method
> is more likely to return atrifacts than the equivalent convolution? Is it
> simply because there is more data being crunched to get to the end result?

Again, the choice is not between 'FFT' and 'convolution'. Jamin
performs convolution, and uses an FFT to do it. The problem is
that what Jamin does is *cyclic* convolution which produces
artefacts and is not the same as filtering. Filtering requires
*linear* convolution, which would actually be simpler, if you
take into account the steps that Jamin takes to reduce the ill
effects of the cyclic convolution.

As explained above, the difference is in step (6) which for
cyclic convolution is allowed to wrap around (meaning that
part of the output ends up where it shouldn't be), while
in linear convolution this is avoided by limiting the size
of the inputs. Unless you want the detailed maths I don't
think I could explain it any more clearly.

Ciao,

--
FA
There are three of them, and Alleline.