Re: [LAU] Demo: Soda P - Pent-Up

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2010 - 16:51:26 EEST

On 09/21/2010 04:46 PM, rosea grammostola wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Jeremy Jongepier
> <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> After convincing my other bandmembers to move to Linux because of all the
>> time we lost figuring out how all that proprietary stuff works we did get a
>> lot more productive.
>>
>> So here it is, the very first demo-track from our rehearsal room, completely
>> recorded and mixed with Linux.
>>
>> http://linux.autostatic.com/temp/sodap-pentup(mixdown20100919).ogg
>>

> Good song. Good voice. With that voice you could think about singing
> lessons to improve it. That's an compliment ;)

Thanks! Singing lessons, I don't know, I'd like to work on my guitar
skills first. And my mixing/recording skills of course. Last Tuesday we
found out that we used the kick mic the wrong way around and that we had
to place it outside the bassdrum instead of inside :$ (it's an AKG D112)

> Btw. what are your bandmembers thinking of the result e.g. the linux
> software? Maybe good to learn at least one bandmember to be able to
> use the tools also, otherwise you have to do all that stuff....
>
> \r

They were very much impressed, especially when I connected my little
nanoKONTROL. Also it boots much faster and they are very happy with the
simple project template that I made for Qtractor (10 tracks and 10 buses
for 10 mic inputs). Within 15 minutes we're good to go. With Cubase that
was like an hour even though we have this Cubase manual/book. They were
also pleased with the results. And they will get the hang of it,
otherwise they use our drummer's MacBook with Garageband that has
already eaten up some nice recordings of spontaneous jams we did. Oh, I
thought I'd saved it but now I can't find the files anywhere...

Best,

Jeremy