Re: [LAU] cool video tutorial by the xiph guys

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 10:13:02 EEST

Excerpts from Rustom Mody's message of 2010-09-28 04:16:08 +0200:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Philipp Überbacher
> <hollunder@lavabit.com>wrote:
>
> > Excerpts from Rustom Mody's message of 2010-09-27 09:08:20 +0200:

> > if
> > a way
> > > >

> > > Thanks for this.
> > >
> > > I am not able to see this (easily) because the arrow (move
> > forward/backward)
> > > keys dont work in totem. So is there any tool other than totem to see
> > webm
> > > files and/or tools to convert webm format to something else?
> >
> > mplayer works fine here (but it seems webm isn't yet associated with
> > video, well, tab completion doesn't work for that video file).
> >

> totem and firefox work but no seek
> mplayer bails out with message:
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> control.
> Following the config file suggestion in
> http://linuxindetails.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/failed-to-open-lirc-support-you-will-not-be-able-to-use-your-remote-control/
> the error message goes but not the error

The lirc error is unrelated, I get that one too, always.

> vlc plays sound no video
>
> Surely there must be ways of converting webm to something more standard like
> avi?

avi is just a container afaik.

My guess is that since webm is rather new, your video software is simply
too old. I suggest you use the ogg theora version also available on
http://www.xiph.org/video/vid1.shtml.

Regards,
Philipp