Re: [LAU] OT: 64 vs 32 bit?

From: allcoms <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 02:53:20 EEST

I'm pretty sure most all the important points on 64 vs 32bit have been
covered by now, I just couldn't resist chucking in my 2p too whilst I
wait for A3 to compile.

The whole worry over 64bit has 'bled over' from the Windows world
where it was a much bigger problem for them than for Linux users.
Things have improved a lot for 64-bit Windows users as 64-bit Windows
is much more prevalent than it was but finding drivers for 64-bit XP
was tough as it never really took off like 64-bit W7 has.

As has already been mentioned, benchmarks show AV encoding/decoding to
be significantly faster under 64bit than running a 32bit OS on the
same hardware and apparently the same is true for compilation. Someone
has mentioned there being no 64-bit guitar pro build yet but it has
already been mentioned in another thread on this list that GP requires
Pulseaudio so that may put you off as it did for me. There is
thankfully FOSS gtp file viewer called DGuitar although its obviously
nowhere near as fully featured as GP6.

I've been using the 64-bit 'square' flash plugin under buntu lucid x64
for the last week or so with no probs and I've also successfully used
Lacies' Lightscribe label printing app under x64 (with an LG burner)
without problem too. There really aren't too many other binary-only
Linux apps out there, thank your lucky RMSs.

This being a Linux Audio list I would say your main question is how
badly do you want to run VSTs under Ardour as this isn't an option if
you're running x64?