Re: [LAU] Subject: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 04:30:26 EEST

On Tue, September 28, 2010 7:52 am, David Adler wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> [...]
>>> My idea is _not_ to *add* a three-band parametric, but to *replace* the
>>> convolution-based eq with one of the very fine ladspa plugins of
>>> parametric eq.
>>> This should lower cpu-usage quite a lot. And if your audio signal needs
>>> 31-
>>> band or a free-hand-drawn equalizer, you are better off with fixing the
>>> mix or
>>> using freqtweak, I think.
>>>

>> This would only output a stereo signal and the compressor expects three
>> stereo signals. So you would have to either seperate the stereo signal
>> after the eq with a filter or run a copy of the signal to each band of
>> the
>> compressor which might increase load but will certainly increase the
>> chance of artifacts on the final post compressor output.
>>

> According to the image showing Jamins signal paths
> http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/routes.html
> the stereo signal coming from the eq currently *is* seperated by a
> filter/crossover before feeding the compressor stages.
> Thus it should be possible to replace the eq without further changes.
>
> But - I'm no expert on jamins internals, so this could be inaccurate.

No your right. It occurred to me after posting that the crossover is
probably where the signal is split for the compressors.

However it doesn't mean that 4 band parametric will produce a cleaner signal.

What would be interesting is if someone wanted to implement the idea and
then people can decide for themselves.

Like I said earlier it should be quick enough to add the plugin but
modifying the gui will take some time/effort.

If no one can be bothered then that is not my problem or any of the other
jamin developers either as we gave our time and skills for free and there
are no obligations for us to do anything that is not directly motivating.

If someone else really has this itch and they scratch it then the patch
will definitely be accepted assuming they meet some goals like adjusting
the config, making sure the ui stay bug free and don't screw up the file
structure or class hierachy in the process. You know the polite things to
do when adding a new feature to a project that has reached stability.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.