Re: [LAU] Subject: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 11:08:46 EEST

On Wed, September 29, 2010 12:19 am, sonofzev@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> I've used Jamin a number of times for self-mastering releases, including a
> vinyl
> release in 2009. While I would prefer to go to a professional mastering
> agency my
> return from music currently doesn't justify it (it doesn't even pay my
> ardour
> subscription :) ).. . The labels I've submitted too were more happy with
> the
> mastering quality (probably happier than I was .. although the problem is
> my
> skill level not the software quality).
>
> Jamin does a very good job, I can't see any reason to change it.
>
> As for resources, I have got in the habit of not rendering my final
> mix-down to
> stereo and then mastering, but simply inserting Jamin into the main output
> of
> Ardour.. this allows for any adjustments to be made at the mix level (e.g.
> channel being too loud)... without going through the process of rendering
> again..
>
> On a AMD Phenom II X3 720 OC'd to ~3.5 GHZ.. I have not exceeded resource
> limits
> on 24 channel (48KHz 32 bit broadcast wav)... with numerous plugins,
> including
> some of the more complex ones then going through JACK while retaining a
> 128
> period and 3 buffer setting on jackd - remembering that everything inside
> Jack is
> in on one processor core... (with the other cores simply providing smooth
> X11
> rendering e.t.c..) ..
>
> It's not a eeepc but it is just an average spec PC.. (with some high
> quality parts).

With conflicting reports like this it is sounding possible that the issue
is compiler or library related.

I don't doubt that Fons and Adrien have experienced the issues that they
have reported but there are also plenty of people who have not experienced
them too.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.