Re: [LAU] Migrating to Linux - need help

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 30 2010 - 14:17:01 EEST

Hi Edu,

I did not know that there's gtk graphical support for screen-readers
these days. and that thay're good enough to even work wit complex
applications such as ardour. Wow, That's amazing.

If you like the console:
http://ltsb.sourceforge.net/ is a "guide is inteded for blind, tuxish
musicians and all others, who simply like the console." It may be a bit
outdated though.

As for your sound-issue: It _may_ be pulseaudio blocking the card.
Edit /etc/pulse/client.conf or $HOME/.pules/client.conf and set
  autospawn = no
and simply stick to use JACK.

jackd requires exclusive access to the soundcard. So if the system is
playing sound (I guess your voice-speak accessibility system) JACK can
not use that card.

If the text-to-voice application supports JACK you could launch jackd
before that, but you're probably better off using the built-in soundcard
for that and use jack only for for audio-engineering.

It looks like your main problem boils down to wrong numbering of the
sound-cards. This has been a long standing issue on Linux and there are
a few ways around it:

 1) If the numbering is consistent on each boot: you can simply not care
about the number and configure all audio-software to use whatever ID.

 2) the "modern way" using udev: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Udev

 3) the "old way" using module load options:
 http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@email-addr-hidden/msg07809.html

It may also help to split up your many questions into several emails to
get better answers. eg. sound-card numbering, jackd startup from the
console, and last but not least: recommended applications for whatever
audio task you're up to.

You may also find a lot of answers to those already via google or the
archive of this list.

best,
robin

PS. As far as I know, you are not the only Linux-Audio-User on this list
who needs to rely on a screen-reader. Others may be on holiday or are
just busy.

PPS. I have top-posted because I assumed that's easier for both
screen-readers and text-to-speech synths.
The preferred method on this list is to use inline-replys or
bottom-posting. I've wondered a few times if this is a problem with
accessibility in general. Care to enlighten me?