Re: [LAU] jamin (was: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux)

From: torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 30 2010 - 18:40:46 EEST

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:11:32AM +0200, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> > Do I understand your hint correctly when I guess that if you invert the
> > mid band and add it at the right level the whole thing would end up more
> > or less flat?
>
> Just inverting it will produce a sum response that is more or less
> flat. It will have bumps of a few dB instead of the deep dips, but
> this can be corrected to some degree by adjusting the filter params.

wouldnt a linkwitz-riley fit best here ?

i am still a bit confused.
i always thought, that a mastering processor should be linear phase.
so what came to my mind first, when i saw the comments about the
problems in the lower bands, was to just increase the number of FIR
taps. we would lower cpu usage also.

we would get a considerably higher latency though.

fons... do you think a 16384 tap fir could do a decent crossover and EQ
?

(assuming this linear phase mumbo jumbo actually makes sense)

this is intended for post-proc, so latency is not relevant.