[LAU] Pulseaudio Rants [WAS: Migrating to Linux - need help]

From: Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 01 2010 - 02:27:02 EEST

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 23:38 +0100, mark hadman wrote:
> Pulseaudio is still in alpha and just doesn't work with m-audio
> soundcards (or anything using the ICE1712 chipset). Quite why the big
> distros have adopted it and still insist that it works is beyond me.
>
> You could try bugging ubuntu or pulseaudio devs about it but many of
> us have been banging our heads against that particular brick wall for
> about 2.5 years now; they just keep blaming each other and/or alsa
> (which is obviously not to blame cos alsa without pulse just works).
> I've abandoned the otherwise brilliant Ubuntu and moved to Arch Linux
> because of this ongoing farce. As a beginner with accessibility issues
> I'd hesitate to recommend you doing the same.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/178442
> contains various workarounds and a heck of a lot of VERY justified
> griping.
>
> PS if anyone from Canonical or Pulseaudio follows this mailing list,
> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sort it out NOW. Once and for all. The
> fixes are out there, it's can't be hard from a dev's point of view.
> This issue is making you all look like stubborn uncaring idiots. The
> ICE1712 hardware isn't going to change, and we're not about to stop
> using it.

Is there any need to rant on pulseaudio when the OP wants to use Jack
for audio production? Its the stated goal of pulseaudio to support
'normal desktop use', which obviously doesn't include ICE1712 chipsets.
If you have such a card you should be using Jack anyway (would you buy
one of those just to listen to youtube videos?).

The linked bug contains the technical details of why the bug happens as
well as why the workarounds posted are not a good idea to include by
default, but from comment #100 on is just full of whining. It all smacks
of 'who moved my cheese?'-entitlement.