Re: [LAU] Audiofire8 and how I chose the wrong motherboard

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 02:00:24 EEST

Toby, there is an option for you here.

Install the alsa-jack plugin, and add the neccessary text to your
.asoundrc. This will route all alsa based sound through jack.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Jack_%28plugin%29

If that link doesn't work for you, then go to the unofficial wiki on
the alsa main page, and search for the jack plugin.
You'll also see the syntax for your .asoundrc on the jack plugin page.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/ALSA_plugins

Basically, you install the plugin, then add something like this to the
.asoundrc:

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave { pcm "jack" }
}

pcm.jack {
   type jack
   playback_ports {
       0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
       1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
   }
   capture_ports {
       0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
       1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
   }
}

ctl.mixer0 {
   type hw
   card 0
}

This works fine for me using gentoo 64bit RT.

In addition, if you want any flash (blech) playback through jack, then
you can add libflashsupportjack, which i guess is in most distro
repos. It's in Gentoo, anyway.
I stress here i've only tested this with 64bit. I've gone a bit
commando with linux, and use lynx and mutt these days, but i do crank
up firefox occasionally, and all the audio works fine through jack.
I'm sure much wiser linux minds than mine will enthusiastically step
in if i've given you wrong info here.

Good luck,

Alex.

--