Re: [LAU] USB soundcard recommendation

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 08 2010 - 02:47:36 EEST

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 09:59:26AM +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

> >> I don't know. ALSA's site might have a list.
> >
> > Doesn't look like there is a way to filter by hardware type on the
> > ALSA site unfortunately and I have not been able to find a USB card
> > that could do more than 48K
> >

> >> I'm not the original poster. My 5-year-old low-budget Toshiba laptop came
> >> with a Firewire port. As did the Sony Vaio Superslim Pro my wife used to
> >> have. Don't know about modern stuff, I don't have any of that around here!
> >
> > Yes, FW used to be common on mid to high end laptops. First Sony
> > pulled it off their PS3 then that ignited a trend that spread into the
> > PC world where FW has become rare on new laptops and there has been
> > rumours of the intentional 'murder' of firewire so these days you
> > often need an expresscard slot if you want firewire.
>
> Supported USB2 cards that I know of:
> - Cakewalk by Roland UA-101: http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-101/
> - Edirol UA-1000: http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-1000/
> - M-Audio Fast Track Ultra:
> http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra.html

From what I've been able to find, you have to jump through some hoops to
get that last device working.

Once you get any of these working, I'd like to see someone confirm that
they can use more than 4 channels in each direction under Linux.

If these things really work, I think there should be a good bit of
effort to get the word out since I still see a lot of places insisting
that there are no USB 2.0 HiSpeed audio devices supported under Linux.