Re: [LAU] large .wav file in Ardour - problems

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 12 2010 - 00:19:03 EEST

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
> I made a large recording in Ardour. The .wav file is 4.9 gb. I'm
> having problems with it and I don't understand if the file is faulty
> or if it's something related with the wav format, which seems to have
> some problems with large files (or am I wrong?).

as already noted, wav can't go this big. the header has a 32 bit value
inside it to indicate the filesize.

if you search the LAU archives you'll find someone else who managed to
do this with another tool, and someone (2 or 3) people came up with
tools/solutions to save the day.

> Also, what precautions should I take in the future when I'll have to
> record such long sessions?

use w64 format, or CAF.