Re: [LAU] Some new things to play with

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 13 2010 - 17:39:00 EEST

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 03:31:27PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> I'm curious: is there a system behind which colors you choose for each
> of the parameter knobs for zita-rev1 and zita-at1?
>
> It's a minor thing and way beyond 0.1.X, but once you release the plugin
> API and host-app it'll benefit from consistent coloring of knobs
> according to function and/or range.
> For all I know it's likely already on your ToDo list or I've missed
> something :)

It is on the todo-list.

Coloring according to function may not be the best option - at
least not for a series of (unrelated) plugins. It's way more
important on a big application such as a mixer.

The most important quality of a layout/coloring scheme is that
it should help you to find the right control without having to
read labels or count the knobs. That's why for example on REV1
the controls are not on a single line.

For the moment the only rules are that red, yellow, orange
should make you think twice before touching them - the will
control something fundamental, while the others (usually less
saturated as well) and in particular gray are 'secondary' in
a sense.

> Anyway, the knobs are very nice: both in functionality and I like the
> look & feel.

Thanks. They are created programmatically using pycairo (as
is the complete 'front panel'), and displayed from X images
with the line on top drawn by (again) cairo.

They are actually quite simple, just a thin C++ object layer
on top of X11, based on some (equally simple) classes from
libclxclient. The code will become part of that library once
it's a bit more stable.

If you update (same release number) you will find them
changed slightly: the black/gray line around the top has
become a bit more pronounced, and the shadow has grown
by half a pixel :-)

Ciao,

--
FA