Re: [LAU] OT: C or C++?

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 09:55:14 EEST

Excerpts from R. Mattes's message of 2010-10-14 22:52:48 +0200:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 16:22:52 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> > >
> > > I never got the point of Java. It has terrible performance and is much
> more complicated then Python.
> > > If you want performance go to C/C++, if you want produtivicty go Python.
> So why Java?
>
> And is this bold statement based on any remotely real fact or just restating
> some blunder you overheard
> on the internet? Sorry, I'm sick of hearing the same old claims over and over.
> A decent moder JVM with
> JIT has more than enogh performance (definitely comparable to python or ruby).
> But, more important,
> performance hardly ever is a problem nowadays. Even with my graphics-heavy
> desktop my system has a load
> average 0f 0.03 % - meaning it's mainly running idle ..

Startup time is also part of performance for me, and I appreciate it
when a program takes a second to start, versus a minute.
I can't really judge actual execution speed, maybe I should write
something that takes some time to run (what?) in java, C and lua and
measure that, would be some kind of benchmark at least.

The other grieve I have with java is the GUI stuff. It's easy to click
something together in netbeans, yes, but almost every java GUI I've seen
so far was horrible one way or another. Take jsampler (Fantasia), it
looks really neat, but it takes a few seconds from the click to the open
menu. Eclipse is the nicest java GUI I've seen so far, but it
apparently uses native components, like the file chooser. I've never
seen a more annoying file chooser than the 'default' one supplied by
java (swing?). Double-click on a file/folder resulting in a rename?
Hello? I really wonder who came up with this great idea. Yet almost
every java program I came across uses it like that. Code reuse gone
wrong.