Re: [LAU] OT: 2 minute intro to type systems (was C or C++?)

From: R. Mattes <rm@email-addr-hidden-freiburg.de>
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 12:38:03 EEST

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:20:45 +0100, Chris Cannam wrote
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo
> <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com> wrote:
> > With the above axes set up you can have languages like C with
> > weak static types, Haskell with strong static types and Python
> > with strong dynamic types. I don't know of any language that
> > can really be said to have weak dynamic types.
>
> How about Perl?

Pretty much at the same location that Python and Ruby.
For an example of really weak dynamic typing have a look
at the old TCL - everything was internally represented as a
C string (null-terminated character array).

RalfD

> Chris

R. Mattes -- Systemeinheitsstreichler
Hochschule fuer Musik Freiburg