Re: [LAU] wanted:audio player

From: allcoms <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 17 2010 - 13:16:47 EEST

2010/10/17 Björn Lindig <bjoern.lindig@email-addr-hidden>:
> Am Samstag 16 Oktober 2010, 22:39:27 schrieb fons@email-addr-hidden:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> for the N-th time I've been wasting my time trying to get
>> alsaplayer to work on a new system. So I'm looking for
>> another audo player with the following features:
>>
>> - Jack output, not autoconnecting.
>> - Plays anything via libsndfile + mp3 + CDs.
>> - Graphical interface but not dependent on Gnome or KDE.
>> - High quality resampling when necessary.
>> - No eye candy, 'equalisers', 'spectrum analysers' etc.
>> - Bonus points if it handles multichannel files.
>>
>> So far I haven't found anything.
>>
>> Ciao,

I want to give my thumbs up to moc too although I'm presuming you've
heard of it before the fons? Its ncurses 'gui' is all the gui you (I)
need so on the 'no eye candy but with a GUI' requirement its hard to
beat. It does auto-connect to jack but I'm sure you could write a
little script to disconnect it as soon as its started. I'm certainly
no fan of these kitchen sink players like iTunes and amarok and moc is
the perfect antidote. I especially like the way you can close the
xterm moc was started in or even quit X and still have it play.

I also very much approve of calling XMMS 'The Mother' when referring
to Linux audio players although I wouldn't recommend it as an app any
more. It'd prob be the only GTK 1 app you'd have installed for a
start.