Re: [LAU] Fedora 13 : FFADO

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 22:51:53 EEST

I noticed that on Fedora 12, I get the following output from jackd :
///// ///// ///// ///// /////
could not open driver .so '/usr/lib64/jack/jack_firewire.so':
libffado.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
could not open component .so '/usr/lib64/jack/jack_firewire.so':
libffado.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Unkown driver "firewire"
///// ///// ///// ///// /////

However, unexpectedly (as suggested by "yum whatprovides"), installing
 libffado-devel x86_64 2.0.1-3.20100706.svn1864.fc12 updates 51 k
renders it working one level better:

///// ///// ///// ///// /////
261554187380: (ffado.cpp)[ 92] ffado_streaming_init: libffado
2.999.0- built Jul 18 2010 21:25:42
firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
Cannot attach audio driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
///// ///// ///// ///// /////

Checking further w/ ffado-diag:
///// ///// ///// ///// /////
The new FireWire kernel stack is loaded.
This stack is not supported by FFADO. Please use the old stack.
///// ///// ///// ///// /////

I suspect that on Fedora13, you'll have better luck as there's a more
compatible firewire stack, or some way of working around the above...
for some reason your message inspired me to try out my Motu 828
(sitting in my "to sell" pile) again, against Fedora 12. Even though I
know it is futile.

Perhaps on F13, if you're using the CCRMA jackd, you may find
installing libffado-devel, and not just libffado may help get your
interface running. I certainly found the behavior unexpected.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com